EmergencyMedicine and Trauma Services (EMTC) is a tertiary care, Level 1 trauma centerlocated on the first floor of the Sheikh Zayed Campus on Michigan Ave NW.
TheEMTC-Sheikh Zayed Campus is comprised of six distinct patient care areas:
1.36 ED patient rooms
2.Two Code Rooms (4 beds)
3.4 bed area designed for psychiatric patients
4. 18 decontamination showers with ability to utilizepsychiatric area for Decontamination Zone.
5. 6-bed Rapid Treatment Unit (RTU)
All nursing practice is based on the legal scope of practice, national and specialty nursing standards, CNMC Policies and Procedures, and in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The Professional Model of Care requires registered professional nurses to be responsible and accountable for their own practice. CNMC supports the development of RN relationships within the community; specifically those relationships associated with the health and well being of the community at large. The Shift Coordinator, on a shift to shift basis, directs the activities of and/or participates as a member of the patient care delivery team. In collaboration with unit leadership, participates in planning, managing and evaluating unit based clinical care and ensuring that continuity of care is maintained.
Qualifications Minimum Education
BSN Minimum Work Experience
2 years Specific Requirements and Preferences
Nursing experience. (Required)
Demonstrated experience/expertise in the charge nurse role. (Required)
Recent pediatric experience in a comparable setting. (Required) Required Skills/Knowledge
The Shift Coordinator, will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at CNMC. Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Functional Accountabilities Professional Practice/Research
1. Participate/support Shared Leadership.
2. Contribute to CNMCs Magnet Journey.
3. Ensure that nursing is based on evidence of best practice.
4. Accountable for supporting/participating in the Division of Nursings Performance Improvement process.
5. Participate in community activities. Participates in Assessment, Planning, and Implementation of Nursing Process
1. Continuously perform patient/family assessments as necessary to ensure needs are met.
2. Assess and modify skill mix and staffing levels using manager or clinical coordinator for complex issues.
3. Function as a resource in planning patient discharge and all clinical issues.
4. Utilize multidisciplinary approach to meeting patient care needs. Demonstrates Ability to Communicate Effectively
1. Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills by adopting techniques for specific situations.
2. Provide performance feedback to all staff in a constructive, timely manner.
3. Effectively manage conflict resolution.
4. Serve as consumer advocate for patient/family concerns. Educates Patient/Family
1. Facilitate learning opportunities for all staff.
2. Ensure that patient/family educational needs are met. Safety
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance Organizational Accountabilities Demonstrates
1. Demonstrate awareness of cost containment strategies by efficiently planning staffing patterns, level and mix to meet patient care needs.
2. Ensure staff adherence to unit/hospital policies.
3. Participate in the performance appraisal process for all staff.
4. Implement change with a positive impact.
5. Display strong leadership in a team environment through example.
6. Demonstrate initiatives and leadership through involvement in projects and committee work. Organizational Commitment/Identification
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times Customer Service
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met Teamwork/Collaboration
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others ideas and opinions Performance Improvement/Problem-solving
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Associated topics: cardiothoracic, domiciliary, intensive, psychatric, recovery, registed, staff nurse, surgical, transitional, unit